Saturday, August 09, 2008

Saturday, 09 August 2008 - A neighborhood lifeline

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a neighborhood lifeline.

I'm adding another name to the list of people for whom I wear a yellow LiveStrong wristband. She's a neighbor's mother - early 60s, recently diagnosed with cancer of the appendix (a very rare type).

I'm glad K told me about her mother. Neighbors, though not technically family, appreciate learning about another's personal crisis and struggle. Yes, we share common physical ground. But, an emotional lifeline also runs around the block, linking one house to the next whether we like it or not.

In the end, we don't want to meddle in each other's affairs (our own problems are enough). But, we do want to comfort, lend a hand, pray and make leaps of faith for each other.

Sadness. That's what I feel as I add K's mother to my list. This year's reports of ill or lost loved ones cast a long shadow over my path. At 54, I barely know how to live. When my time is finally up, I wonder if I will know how to die.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: