Saturday, October 08, 2005

Saturday, 8 October 2005 - One final summer day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one final summer day.

This morning, as I fertilize the plants in my xeriscape garden, Jordan and his brother, James, rake leaves in a neighbor's yard. (Jordan is the talented young man who wants to attend UCLA, my alma mater.) They'll bag the leaves for us - we'll feed them to our compost heap. My husband, S, is in the garage working on Jamell's bicycle. T, our chocolate Lab, rests quietly in the shade, observing my every move.

Whew! Hot and dry weather. Feels like summer though it's October. I pause often to wipe the sweat from my brow and to drink water.

Unfortunately, these halcyon days won't last another week. Tonight, we're expecting a wintry storm front that, after settling in, may bring rain and snow. In the meantime, S will take one more long bike ride this afternoon while I tidy the backyard garden.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: