Monday, January 05, 2009

Monday, 05 January 2009 - A winter gift

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a winter gift.

'Tis not the season
of
the leaf whose
fragile body’s broken veins
disintegrate in
gusts of winds while
winter blows a frosty coat that
caps the barren land.
~Lucille Younger


I didn't ask for more wintry weather, preferring mild, dry days that invite rock climbing adventures. Mother Nature, however, sent me a generous helping of winter. She thought it a gift - the swirling, drifting snow; the bitter cold North wind; the frosty air; the single digit temperature.

I deemed it punishment. That is, until my trip home from work.

After turning left into the neighborhood, I observed several middle school boys having a ball playing in their well-constructed snow fort (I smiled and waved - to my surprise, they smiled and waved back). Then, further up the street, I spied a petite snowman with a bright orange plastic jack-o-lantern head (very, very funny).

Now I get it. No snow means no snow fort, no snowman.

To every thing, there is a season
And a time to every purpose under heaven ...

Ecclesiastes 3

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: