Friday, December 31, 2010

Important People

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for important people.

New Year's eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet, no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights. ~Hamilton Wright Mabie

As I peruse the list of "important" people who died this year, I realize that the media forgot some notable names. None are celebrities or athletes or billionaires. They are simply humans and canines who matter to people who matter to me:
  • My dad
  • My work colleague, Pete
  • Kathleen's mother
  • Cortney's grandmother
  • Judy's mother
  • Kelly's brother
  • Sage (Kathleen and Steve's beloved Australian Shepherd)
  • Greta (CS's beloved Weimaraner)
  • Ted Eastburn
The holidays just weren't the same without them. 

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: