Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - An early white Christmas

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for an early white Christmas. What a joy to awake to a snow covered world! As T and I walk along our favorite trail, he prances in delight, kicking up the 6 inches of fresh powder with each step.

We walk in a winter wonderland. I gaze in amazement at the groves of mature scub oak trees. Their rich coffee-colored branches provide a stark contrast to the delicate layer of white frosting. The powdery snow balances precariously on the gnarled and twisted wood. Although it is snowing, we detect no wind. I gently touch a small branch and frown as the snow flutters away. I realize that the slightest movement or merest breeze will send the snow falling from the trees. I am glad that we're walking very early this morning - before the winds rise to spoil the picture. We walk silently through the field and up the big hill. Every step of the way, I am awed by winter's beauty.

As I write this, the snow continues to fall - big, fluffy flakes swirling, dancing, celebrating the season. We are glad to be inside, watching the festival from a warmer perch. I am glad to be alive.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: