Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wednesday, 15 November 2006 - A bowl of oatmeal

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a bowl of oatmeal for dinner.

Hunger is the best sauce in the world. ~Cervantes


This month, we are eating down the freezer and pantry - something we do periodically to avoid wasting food.

I've also been cooking every day for nearly three years (ever since S lost his last corporate America job). I like to cook and don't mind the task. Just not today.

Unfortunately, we have no leftovers. My husband ate the last bit of yesterday's stir fry for lunch. I ate the last slice of homemade bread for my lunch - toasted and spread with chunky peanut butter and raspberry jam. I shared the crust with T.

Darn it. Now, I don't have anything to eat for dinner.

I rummage through the refrigerator and notice the bags of sliced almonds and dried cranberries. I also check to see if we have any oatmeal in the pantry. Yes!

So, my dinner is a big bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal topped with almonds, dried cranberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. Perfect for a nippy November evening!

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: