Monday, February 27, 2006

Monday, 27 February 2006 - The color, yellow

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the color, yellow.

While growing up, I never liked the color, yellow. Probably my reaction to yellow's racial connotations since I am Japanese. "Yellow peril" is the negative phrase I remember best. I never wore yellow because it was too bright for my conservative style and didn't complement my complexion's golden undertones.

Today, I think differently about yellow - it's now a color I adore.

Yellow is:
the sun's life-giving energy
the sunflower's regal crown
a candle's hopeful glow on a cold winter's night
ripe corn on the cob
a patch of spring daffodils in full bloom
a basket of fresh, fragrant lemons
the Tour de France's maillot jaune
a sparkling canary diamond
anonymous wildflowers that grace my summer garden
how sunshine feels from the inside out

Thanks to my knitting adventures, my once drab wardrobe now includes bright yellow accents - a bulky cardigan sweater, a long scarf, a felted wool handbag. And, I never leave the house without wearing a "livestrong" wristband (yellow is Lance Armstrong's favorite color).

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: