Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Wednesday, 30 November 2005 - Second chances

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a second chance (and a third, a fourth, a fifth ....).

No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers. ~Author Unknown
Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teresa
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

These aren't the second chances meant for one to "get it right" because I may never get it right no matter how many chances I get. These are the second chances I get to make my life count; the ones that force me from the shadows into living sunlight; the ones that say no more weeping - it's time to laugh.

These are the chances that some call luck while I claim serendipity - the ones that help me solve the hardest Sudoku puzzles, write the last line of a never-ending poem, heal my perpetually broken heart, walk another mile in bitter cold winds, and earn my long-awaited PhD in Life.

They dare me to dream gigantic dreams, to wear bright orange and lemon yellow and grass green, to streak red and purple highlights through my dark brown hair, to anticipate living in a new place a year from now, and to savor a piece of France's finest gourmet chocolate without feeling guilty.

Now, I take my second chances - all of them - and I grasp them tightly in my right hand, eyeing them carefully, lest I lose sight of my unique purpose and ruefully watch another day drift quietly into the past.

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: