Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful.

Thanksgiving comes to us out of the prehistoric dimness, universal to all ages and all faiths. At whatever straws we must grasp, there is always a time for gratitude and new beginnings.
~J. Robert Moskin

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder

Again, I find it very hard to embrace the holiday season with a joyful heart. It's been an exceedingly difficult year - too many personal losses and challenges. I'm surprised I made it this far without serious consequences. Fortunately, I have my health and, hopefully, enough time to finish my life's mission.

We spent a quiet Thanksgiving Day at home - the climbing gym was closed and it was far too cold to do anything outdoors except walk T around the park. At 11 AM, we listened to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant on the local public radio station, a Colorado Springs tradition. I cooked a simple meal while S watched football and T napped. The day was tinged with sadness - S and I know that T's remaining time with us is very short. I hope he makes it to his 14th birthday on December 18.

For my many blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: