Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Wednesday, 03 September 2008 - Seasonal transitions


Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seasonal transitions.

A merchant writes in her newsletter that her mother, a teacher, knows that the beginning of the new school year is near when the goldenrod blooms.

Mine, on the brink of showing its golden mane for weeks, finally bloomed last week. Since the local schools opened in mid-August, the goldenrod's flowers mean something else in Colorado - the onset of autumn weather.

I waited a few days to mention the seasonal transition, just in case the cooler weather was actually a red herring. Today, I announce fall's official start (retroactive to September 1). The night's low temperature hovers around 40 degrees, so I must cover the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants at sunset with old sheets and pillow cases (I still want the "fruit" to set). I will continue this practice until the first hard freeze. In the meantime, I'm praying for a lovely Indian summer with warm days, vegetables and herbs to harvest and excellent climbing adventures.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: