Saturday, August 02, 2008

Saturday, 02 August 2008 - Mystery and unexpected guests

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for mystery and unexpected guests.

Let mystery have its place in you; do not be always turning up your whole soil with the plowshare of self-examination, but leave a little fallow corner in your heart for any seed the winds may bring ... Keep a place in your heart for the unexpected guests, an altar for the unknown God. ~Henri Frederic Amiel

This quote arrived unexpectedly the other day. A gift of sorts. After reading the words and pondering their meaning, I know that I am guilty, as accused.

When it comes to my plowshare of self-examination, I repeatedly turn up my whole soil and work it to death with self-talk that is too critical, too controlling and too demanding.

So, just as I do with my outdoor gardens, I must find an inner space where I can readily plant new seeds. Probably a small piece of my weary heart. A fitting altar to my God.

Then, I must keep the plot fertile and fresh, ready to accept seeds of change, joy or opportunity that blow my way on uncertain winds.

Only then will I gladly welcome unexpected guests into my life. Only then will mystery have its place in me.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: