Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday, 18 July 2008 - Wildflowers

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for wildflowers.

For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous. Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant!
~Edward Abbey

For over 17 years, my backyard garden began like this: In the spring, I worked wildflower seeds into the clay dirt, watered the patches daily and waited. Eventually, seeds sprouted, stems and leaves grew and flowers bloomed. I diligently mulched and weeded. My "cottage" garden slowly took shape, an undisciplined canvas of color and texture. Perfect for butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

Today, succeeding generations of wildflowers still bloom throughout a more disciplined landscape. As they reveal the innate beauty and magic of native plants, these plants also link my domesticated garden to their original home, the short and tall grass prairie.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: