Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday, 16 August 2007 - Another timely prayer

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for another timely prayer.

Just give me this:
A rinsing out, a cleansing free

Of all my smaller strivings
So I can be the class act God intended,

True to my purpose,

All my energy aligned behind my deepest intention.


And just this:
A quieting down,
A clearing away of internal ruckus,
So I can hear the huge stillness in my heart
And feel
How I pulse with all creation,
Part and parcel of Your great singing ocean.

And this too:
A willingness to notice and forgive the myriad times
I fall short,
Forgetting who I am,
What I really belong to.

So I can start over,

Fresh and clean,

Like sweet sheets billowing in the summer sun,

My heart pierced with gratitude.


~Belleruth Naparstek

from Prayers for Healing: 365 Blessings, Poems & Meditations from Around the World,
Edited by Maggie Oman, Conari Press, Berkeley, CA: 1997.

This prayer is for my friend and neighbor, Ric, whose brother died a few days ago from kidney failure. The brother was only 59 but had been in poor health for many years. Ric's sister was ready to donate a kidney, but the brother was too ill for surgery. Dialysis, his only option, was not the one he wanted. Ric thinks his brother just gave up.

This prayer is for my sister, E, whose life has been an ongoing roller coaster ride since December. She deserves a break and a healthy serving of grace.

This prayer is for my friend, Tom. He's a few steps into his journey of a thousand miles, recovering from a traumatic brain injury. He's nearly done with his first week of intensive rehab/therapy at Craig Hospital. We have high hopes that, in time, he'll reclaim his independence.

And, this prayer is for me. For obvious reasons.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: