Saturday, March 04, 2006

Saturday, 04 March 2006 - Daydreams

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for daydreams.

A daydream is a meal at which images are eaten. Some of us are gourmets, some gourmands, and a good many take their images precooked out of a can and swallow them down whole, absent-mindedly and with little relish. ~W.H. Auden

I'm lost in a daydream as T and I circle the park for the nth time (I can't remember what lap we're on because I'm not paying attention). Sometimes, we return home and I can't recall anything specific about our walk or the park or the people we passed. Perhaps middle age has hijacked my mind, leading me to places far beyond the next mountain pass so I can find the seed of a poem or a fascinating plot for a story.

You can call me absent-minded or preoccupied or indifferent. Just don't accuse me of having no imagination or creativity or passion. I probably won't hear you anyway. I'm a million miles away, lost in a daydream.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: