Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday, 13 March 2006 - Process Cycle

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the Process Cycle.

I'm cleaning out a file in which I've archived a potpourri of business-related materials. One dog-eared document catches my eye. It's simply titled, Process Cycle.

When I worked for Digital Equipment Corporation during the mid-1990s, we used the Process Cycle to plan meetings and projects. It helped me think through the task at hand and ensured that meetings were focused and results-oriented. Before a meeting, for example, we would send out the Process Cycle so all attendees would know know what to expect and the anticipated results.

I'm glad I found it - will come in handy with some of my current projects. Here it is just in case you're interested or curious. Note that I've edited some of the original sentences to enhance readability.

Process Cycle
(Use to design any new task, meeting, event, product, etc.)

Purpose
State the reason for doing the task in terms of value to the "customer." Provide a high level description of the purpose. This will serve as a framework for guiding process execution.

Results
State the desired outcomes. When the time is up, what do what you want to have accomplished Spell out the intended results. This will help determine whether or not the purpose was served.

Steps
Design the ideal steps to achieving the desired results. List the sequence of actions necessary to produce the results.

Capabilities
These are the "needs" for executing the steps. List the budget, resources, knowledge, skills, type of thinking, tools, preparedness and diversity of people required to execute the steps.

Feedback
Evaluate the task/meeting/event:
- What happened? Why?
- Compare actual versus expected results
- What did you learn?
- What will you change next time to improve the process and results?

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: