Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Wednesday, 30 March 2005 - A writer's life

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a writer's life.

Some critics will write 'Maya Angelou is a natural writer' - which is right after being a natural heart surgeon. - Maya Angelou

Writing is very hard work, demanding discipline, respect for language, countless rewrites, careful editing, and boundless patience. It's the ideal occupation for my perfectionist soul.

Writing found me early in life, sealing my fate before the outside world could influence my destiny. I've come a long way since I first penned a simple verse nearly 45 years ago. Funny, all my poems rhymed back then. Today, my life reaches far beyond a third grader's imagination, yet I still exploit the same talent and write as passionately.

I believe I am a good writer. I believe I have a lot to say. I believe my words can affect a person's life. And, I believe that the book I am writing will change someone's world in an important way.

If you're looking for me, you'll find me in my studio. I'm sitting at the computer, writing.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: