Today, I am thankful for the power of ten.
I am celebrating 10.10.10 with:
- It's already late Sunday afternoon - where did my weekend go?
- Fall has finally arrived in Colorado Springs - the chill in the air says it all.
- I am still harvesting jalapeno and cayenne peppers from what was my best vegetable garden to date.
- T is sleeping, dreaming of the best days, the best moments of his life (I wonder if he will make it through the winter).
- I miss my dad who died nearly 5 months ago. I think he would have loved my gardens this year.
- A colleague died last weekend from cancer (very sad for all of us at the office - you could have heard a pin drop when the email arrived in our mailboxes).
- This morning, I baked rich and buttery cranberry scones for breakfast and focaccio with fresh rosemary (to accompany the pork shoulder roast that cooked all night in the crock pot).
- I need to assemble my cool weather wardrobe - time again for cozy sweaters, hand knit scarves, cashmere gloves and my favorite boots.
- I wish I could live parts of my life over because I would do many things differently.
- I'm glad that I'm a rock climber - rock climbing is much easier on the knees than my first love, long distance running.
My budget when I shop at the thrift store is $10.00. I usually visit on Saturdays when most items are half-price. My rule is that I only buy clothes from well-known brands like Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Gap, Patagonia, North Face and Prana. I'm lucky that I wear small sizes - the "small" racks are rarely picked over. Yesterday, for $9.10 (tax included), I bought a lovely pale blue rayon blend cardigan (Ann Taylor, needs new buttons) and two pairs of black slacks in stretch fabrics (Ann Taylor and Talbots - modern, low waist fit, no alterations needed). My favorite finds in the past year include a Lands End coat for $7.50, a new pair of Prana climbing pants for $5.00, and the complete collection of Robert Frost poems for $1.50.
10 more minutes
This is what I ask for all day long - just 10 more minutes, please. Today, I am giving myself 10 more minutes. For all the times I needed them but was denied or couldn't find the extra time.
For this blessing, I am grateful.