Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday, 28 November 2008 - Giving and receiving

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for giving and receiving.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
~The Golden Rule (variation)

I don't buy anything on the day after Thanksgiving, honoring Black Friday boycotts. Who needs the nasty crowds, the annoyance or the stuff?

So, I'm speechless after learning that an early morning stampede of Wal-Mart shoppers killed one man and injured several others.

I wonder what heavily discounted item on aisle 15 was worth one man's life. None, in my book.

My thoughts are these:

+ On giving.
We battle feelings of inadequacy because, for the first time, many of us have little to give others but a smile, a hug and an encouraging word. My cup simply does not runneth over this year. Of course, by placing dollar signs on everything, we fail to realize the true scope of our generosity. Simple gifts are always best. Gifts of oneself, priceless.

+ On receiving.
To receive is humbling, forcing me to test the limits of my pride and gratitude. Giving is easier, receiving more difficult to rationalize. But, when times are hard, random acts of kindness abound. The trick is to find the balance - I give, I receive - trying at all times, to do the right thing.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: