Thursday, June 01, 2006

Thursday, 01 June 2006 - One blooming lupine







Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one blooming lupine.

People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us. ~Iris Murdoch, A Fairly Honourable Defeat

I started this lupine plant from seed last summer, sowing it in the northeast corner of the garden next to the miniature barberry bush and catmint patch. The seed was not rare or special - just your ordinary Martha Stewart-KMart variety that I bought at a 40% discount. So, I was quite delighted to see the multicolored blooms emerge from a single plant.

... a touch of natural beauty that brightens the landscape and forces our grumpiest neighbor to smile.
... a welcome conversation starter that invites comments from neighbors and passers-by.

"What is that lovely plant?"
"Where did you get it?"
"Is it easy to grow?"
"I can't believe you started it with seed!"
"How fortunate the deer and rabbits hate lupine."

(In April, I planted more lupine seeds in the front yard garden. I hope they all grow into showstoppers.)

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: